Associate Degree Programs at Pratt
The mission of Pratt’s Associate Degree Programs is to provide a professional and creative learning environment in conjunction with a rigorous career-focused art and design curriculum, balancing technical knowledge and skills with the development of critical thinking and conceptual abilities. These programs serve a diverse student population, both traditional and non-traditional, and offer two study-tracks: a career-oriented A.O.S. track, which prepares students for careers in the art and design professions; and a transfer-oriented A.A.S. track which positions A.A.S. graduates to transfer directly into the junior year of the Pratt B.F.A. Programs in Fine Arts or Communication Design.
Graphic Design Program Mission
The A.O.S. Graphic Design major within Pratt's Associate Degree Program is a career track professional program with an emphasis on both traditional skills and new technologies. Graphic Design students develop skills and proficiency in such concentrations as Advertising, Publication, and Package Design, along with a proficiency in all software applications and studio fundamentals such as Typography, Visualization, and Drawing.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able, possessing skill in both traditional and digital methods, to create dynamic and innovative designs for a variety of contemporary markets.
- Students will be able to assess the needs of a client as well as traits of a client’s targeted demographic.
- Students will be able to integrate a broad understanding of the psychology of design into their design practices.
- Students will be able to utilize a thorough understanding of the printing process, both the physical mechanisms and pre-press process, to facilitate the creation of a physical product.
- Students will be able to employ expertise in a broad variety of software applications to create work for both print and web purposes.