Associate Degree Programs at Pratt
The mission of Pratt’s Associate Degree Program is to provide a professional and creative learning environment in conjunction with a rigorous career-focused art and design curriculum, balancing technical knowledge and skills with the development of critical thinking and conceptual abilities. These programs serve a diverse student population, both traditional and non-traditional, and offer two study-tracks: a career-oriented A.O.S. track, which prepares students for careers in the art and design professions; and a transfer-oriented A.A.S. track which positions A.A.S. graduates to transfer directly into the junior year of the Pratt B.F.A. Programs in Fine Arts or Communication Design.
Painting and Drawing Program Mission
The A.A.S. Major in Painting & Drawing within the Associate Degree Programs is a pre-professional degree program providing the student with the first two years of a four-year Bachelor of Fine Arts course of study, upon completion students graduate with an A.A.S. Degree and have the option of entering an arts profession, or applying for transfer into the B.F.A. Program at Pratt or another school of choice. This program offers a strong foundation, advanced-level art and design courses, and a liberal studies component, all combined to create a comprehensive transfer degree.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to create works utilizing a broad base of media and skillful mark-making techniques.
- Students will be able to create images with a command of composition.
- Students will be able to employ skilled understanding of color and value in the construction of finished works.
- Students will be able to render, two-dimensionally, both the human form and objects from observation.
- Students will be able to experiment with digital tools at a fundamental level.