We empower people to improve lives and communities through information, knowledge, and culture.
Our mission is to lead the information field, through teaching and research, in making connections with the arts, culture, and technology. We create knowledge, encourage knowledge sharing, and educate creative, critical, and socially responsible professionals who participate in, contribute to, and improve the information society.
- To offer a current, forward-looking, and high-quality curriculum that supports academic inquiry and student learning.
- To prepare students for a variety of careers in the information field through a range of graduate-level educational programs that challenge students creatively, critically, and ethically.
- To sustain excellence in face-to-face teaching.
- To enrich the student experience through experiential and project-based learning, international study, co-curricular and extracurricular activities, and one-on-one mentoring and advisement.
- To foster a culturally responsive learning environment.
- To recruit and retain highly qualified students.
- To cultivate qualified faculty members who engage in high-quality research, participate in scholarly activities, and/or are experts in their field of practice.
- To maintain faculty and student service to the School, Institute, and information field.
- To pursue internal and external funding for innovation in research, teaching, and/or learning.
- To provide excellent facilities and resources that support our mission.
- To practice transparency and openness in our communications and planning.
Recommended by the SI Faculty Council and approved by the SI Dean on December 10, 2015.
Minor revisions recommended by the SI Faculty Council on April 20, 2017, and approved by the SI Dean on July 1, 2017.
Evaluation and Action Plan
Each year at its annual retreat, the School of Information evaluates the extent to which its goals are being addressed and creates an action plan to ensure goals are addressed. The Annual Assessment Report 2016/2017, and Action Plan 2017/2018, are available for download.