Discover your creative passion, build friendships, and find your place at Pratt in this immersive college-level program.
Spend the summer on Pratt’s Brooklyn campus in intensive art, design, architecture, or creative writing courses, informed and inspired by the backdrop of New York City. During this four-week full-time program, students develop technical skills and create strong portfolio pieces for college admission, while earning elective college credits.
Join high school students from diverse backgrounds and develop your creative passions, build friendships, and discover potential careers on Pratt’s Brooklyn campus this summer.
Dates & Costs
|Residential Program||Sunday, July 9 – Wednesday August 2, 2023|
|Priority Application Deadline||March 1|
|Payment Deadline||June 1|
(PreCollege Summer tuition is discounted 38% per credit of undergraduate tuition rate )
*Non-refundable. Program deposit is applied toward tuition.
Note: Costs exclude course materials, local travel, and incidentals. Materials can range between $200-$400 depending on the course of study. Limited scholarship awards are available through the PreCollege program.
Summer PreCollege students each take two intensive studio courses, offered in a variety of disciplines. These hands-on classes provide exploration of the diversity of majors available at Pratt. Most classes are taught by Pratt faculty using state-of-the-art equipment, studio spaces, and classrooms across campus. Courses provide an introduction to Pratt’s undergraduate curriculum and equip students with elective college credits which are accepted at most colleges and universities. Undergraduate mentors host studio hours after class, providing guidance and support while PreCollege students complete assignments.
Studio courses are supplemented with workshops, seminars, and events designed to guide students through the portfolio development process for college applications and explore the creative careers and cultural opportunities available to Pratt students and alumni. Outside of classes students take full advantage of their New York City location with on campus workshops and visits to cultural institutions off campus. Students also gain valuable insight on building a portfolio and can book one-on-one portfolio reviews with Pratt admissions counselors during their time on campus. Students will leave campus confident in their potential future as a creative student at Pratt Institute (or elsewhere) and the skills and tools to help make that future a reality.
PreCollege is a full-time academically rigorous program and attendance is required for all class sessions and studio hours for students to complete their assignments successfully. Participation in weekend and evening activities and a nightly curfew are mandatory for residential students. During class breaks and scheduled flex times students are also encouraged to enjoy the beauty of Pratt’s campus and explore the surrounding neighborhood while following safety and wellness protocols.
Important Note: Commuter students are highly encouraged to attend all studio hours sessions or anticipate spending an equal amount of time completing homework at home. Some assignment require special tools that cannot be accessed outside of the scheduled studio times on the evening and weekends and cannot be completed at home.
- Show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination at least 2 weeks before the first day of the program. (For more information about Pratt’s COVID-19 response and vaccination requirements please visit https://www.pratt.edu/backtopratt)
- At least 16 years old and no older than 18 years old before the first day of the program. No exceptions.
- Currently enrolled in high school (or equivalent program).
- United States citizen, permanent resident, or international student with approved US Visa
- Self-motivated, responsible, and willing to dive into college-level study with support from staff and faculty.
- Passionate and inquisitive about creating works of art, design, architecture or writing. Program is open to all levels of experience but best suited for students who have some experience with a creative practice, whether in a formal or informal setting.
PreCollege Withdrawals and Refunds
Note: In the event that the PreCollege Summer program is canceled by Pratt Institute for any reason, student tuition, room, board, the deposit and fees, except for the $50 application fee, will be 100% refunded. Other program-related costs not billed by Pratt such as travel, materials, etc. are non-refundable.
All refunds require 5-6 weeks processing time.
PreCollege Summer Residential and Commuter Program
Official withdrawals prior to the start of the program require:
- Written notification to Pratt via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line “PreCollege Refund Request”.
- Requests received prior to June 1st will receive a refund consisting of 100% of tuition, housing and meals. The deposit ($600), student administration fee ($475) and the application fee ($50) will not be refunded.
- Withdrawal requests received after June 1st are ineligible for any refunds.
Note: All program fees and deposits are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
Official withdrawals after the start of the program require:
- A scheduled meeting with the Director of PreCollege for an exit interview where, together with parents/guardians, a student must sign a Voluntary Withdrawal Form. More details and the form can be found in the Student Handbook.
- Students requesting an official withdrawal will receive a permanent grade of “W” on their academic record; and will be ineligible for any refunds.
- Students leaving the program without an exit interview will receive a permanent grade of “F” on their academic record; and will be ineligible for any refunds.
PreCollege Fall, Spring, and Online Program
Credit and non-credit courses require:
- Written notification to Pratt via email (email@example.com) with the subject line “PreCollege Refund Request.”
- Requests received before the start of the second class will receive a 100% tuition refund less non-refundable fees. Any requests received after the start of the second class are ineligible for any refunds.
- A $15 processing charge will be applied to any refund request per non-credit course per term.