Take a PreCollege online course this summer and join students from across the country and around the world developing their art, design, or writing skills. Part-time courses meet two or three times a week providing synchronous instruction from world-class faculty and engaging discussion with like-minded peers.Students are able to earn college credits while exploring their interests regardless of location.
Online Program: June 21 – July 14, 2022Priority Application Deadline: May 1Payment Deadline: June 1
- 1-Credit Tuition: $1,0352-Credit Tuition: $2,071
- 1-credit studio classes have fewer assignments and class hours than their 2-credit versions but cover similar topics.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- At least 16 years old and no older than 18 years old before the first day of the program. No exceptions.
- Currently enrolled in high school (or equivalent program).
- Self-motivated, responsible, and willing to dive into college-level study with support from staff and faculty.
- Passionate and inquisitive about creating works of art, design, architecture or writing. Program is open to all levels of experience but best suited for students who have some experience with creating, whether in a formal or informal setting.
Strengthen fundamental creative skills in a traditional studio art class focused on color, shape, line, movement, and other formal concepts of art and design. Modeled after Pratt’s first-year curriculum, this course will expand the student’s thinking, strengthen portfolios, and provide a basis for further study in any creative field.2-Credits
Create the objects that people use everyday. This concentration course examines how embracing today’s social, physical, and ecological needs presents opportunities for creative design. Through drawing and model making, students explore, challenge, and redefine the forms and objects with which we live.1-Credit
Painting and Drawing
Translate the three-dimensional world onto a two-dimensional surface. Develop perceptual and aesthetic awareness and improve technical skills through the creation of fine art. Students will use different drawing and painting techniques, media, and subject matter to create a body of work with an emphasis on developing an effective studio practice and producing works to include in a competitive portfolio.1-Credit
Craft compelling written compositions. Focus on the fundamentals of creative writing while developing writing skills in one or more genres or styles (poetry, essay, fiction, writing for theatre, film, or magazines). Students will examine written language, voice, and the composing process through reading /writing assignments, critical reviews, and peer review/critique.1-Credit