Who can apply?
- High school students who are at least sixteen years old and have completed their sophomore year, as well as graduating seniors. Minimum age: 16 years by July 2, 2019; maximum age: 18 years. No exceptions.
- Self-motivated and responsible students willing to immerse themselves in college-level study with other students who have a desire to benefit from the program.
- Domestic, Non-US Citizens, and Non-US Permanent Residents.
- All levels of experience welcome.
Apply now for Pratt’s PreCollege Summer Program by completing this online application and submitting supporting documents, along with the $50 application fee (please see Application Checklist below).
Applications and supporting documents are due March 1. After this deadline we will continue to accept applications as space permits. For those applying late please contact the PreCollege department first as some concentrations may fill and housing is limited. Merit scholarship applications will not be accepted after March 1. Please note, applications and materials will only be accepted through the online application. Mailed or emailed documents will not be accepted.
All applicants are asked to share:
- A completed summer PreCollege application form.
- A statement of purpose written by the student expressing why they want to attend the program. 500 words maximum.
- A nonrefundable deposit of $50, due with application.
Those applying for the Merit Scholarship will be asked to include:
- Two letters of recommendation (for example, from an art teacher, guidance counselor, or school administrator).
- Two samples of artwork. Applicant's choice of medium, for example: sketches, photography, painting, writing etc. Students not applying for a merit scholarship are not required to upload examples of artwork.
US Citizens living abroad will be asked to:
- Upload a photograph of their passport.
International students will be asked to:
- International students holding a citizenship from a country where English is not the national language are required to upload one of the following documents with the Summer Program application: Proof of recent successful study in a United States or other English speaking country institution of education showcasing a minimum of one year study and a GPA of at least 2.0, or a score report showing a minimum TOEFL examination score of 540 PBT / 207 CBT / 76 iBT, IELTS score of 6, or PTE score of 48.
- Acquire an F-1 visa to attend the PreCollege program. Additional information will be provided at the time of acceptance for those requesting an 1-20.
Choosing a concentration
On the application form, applicants are asked to indicate three concentration choices. Students will be placed in one concentration for the program. Descriptions of these courses are available on our Curriculum page. We cannot accommodate changes to concentration choices once an application is submitted. Applicants must choose all three preferences with care since students will be automatically placed in their second or third choice concentration if their first choice is full at the time of a deposit after being accepted. If all three concentration choices are full, the applicant will be notified and an alternative concentration choice will need to be made.
Concentration choices are limited, so the sooner you apply, are accepted into the program and complete the $600 deposit and proof of health insurance coverage the better chance you have of receiving your first choice. Please make sure to have all the required documents outlined above ready to submit as incomplete applications cannot be reviewed or submitted.