Pratt Institute (Pratt, “we”, or “us”) is committed to ensuring the privacy, confidentiality, and security of alumni, donors, and friends. This notice describes our information collection practices and explains how we use and protect your personal information. We strive to comply with all legislation, data and privacy protection best practices, and Pratt Institute data and security policies and procedures.
The mission of Pratt Institute is to educate artists and creative professionals to be responsible contributors to society. Pratt seeks to instill in all graduates aesthetic judgment, professional knowledge, collaborative skills, and technical expertise. With a firm grounding in the liberal arts and sciences, a Pratt education blends theory with creative application in preparing graduates to become leaders in their professions. Pratt enrolls a diverse group of highly talented and dedicated students, challenging them to achieve their full potential. Pratt Institute is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization.
The Division of Institutional Advancement and its Office of Alumni Engagement promote the welfare of the Institute by cultivating a mutually beneficial relationship between Pratt and its growing worldwide community of alumni.
WHY IS PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED?
To fulfill the Institute’s mission, it is important that we maintain a connection with those who have a relationship with Pratt. Your data is used by us for a number of purposes in support of alumni engagement, communications, and fundraising. We may lawfully contact you by phone, email, text, or post.
WHAT AND HOW IS INFORMATION COLLECTED?
We process information we collect from you directly, including during our communications with you; during your enrollment, employment, participation in student or alumni activities or programs, or other association with Pratt; when you attend one of our events; when you make contributions to Pratt; and when you request services from Pratt. This information includes (but is not limited to) your name, billing and mailing addresses, telephone number, and email address.
Pratt uses third-party vendors to administer and process your online donations and ticketing for certain events. Pratt requires its vendors to maintain the security of the information which you provide to them and restricts the vendors from using this information in any way not expressly authorized by Pratt.
In addition, we may research your capacity to provide financial support resulting in the creation of Personal Data, including:
- Your estimated income or asset worth (where this information is not provided by you)
- Your potential capacity to make a gift, including classifying you as a major gift prospect based on a combination of your giving history, your attendance at our events, and any other interactions you may have with us since you graduated, including any indications from you about your capacity or willingness to give to us
- Gifts you have made to other charitable organizations
HOW IS INFORMATION USED?
Your data is used by us for a number of purposes in support of alumni engagement, communications, and fundraising. These include:
- Sending publications
- Conducting surveys or research
- Providing services such as facilities and alumni benefits
- Sending you tailored proposals, appeals, and donation asks
- Inviting you to alumni and other Pratt events
- Promoting your category of support in our grant proposals and other donor recognition, unless you specially request to remain anonymous
- Giving capacity in order to understand fundraising strategy and targeted communications
- Administrative purposes such as event registration and donation processing
HOW IS INFORMATION SHARED?
We share limited data on a confidential basis, where appropriate, with:
- Other Pratt departments
- Volunteer partners
- Other third parties we contract with to provide services to you on our behalf, or services to us
We also will facilitate communication between individual alumni, but in doing so we do not release data without prior permission. We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer your Personal Data to outside parties, except as explained herein. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us, as noted above, with operating our website, conducting our business, or providing services to you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We also may release your data when we believe the release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our website policies, or protect our or others’ rights, property, or safety.
HOW IS DATA STORED AND SECURED?
Pratt Institute uses administrative technical and physical security measures to protect personal information, taking into account the nature, scope, context, and purposes of the processing and the risks of varying likelihood and severity for your rights and freedoms.
Some features of our website enable credit card transactions and the submission of personal information and are completely voluntary. Those features may include the purchasing of tickets through event registration or donations. Reputable third-party merchant processors, financial institutions, and software vendors handle our credit card transactions pursuant to written agreements with us.
HOW LONG IS DATA STORED?
We keep your information for no longer than necessary for the purposes for which it is used. The length of time depends on the purposes for which we collect and use it and/or as required to comply with applicable laws and to establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights.
YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
You have the following options available should you choose to limit the use of or access to your information. You may request changes by sending an email with details to email@example.com:
- Do Not Call: This will remove your name and contact information from lists used for telephone campaigns by our office
- Do Not Email: This will remove your name and contact information from all email lists used by our office
- Do Not Mail: This will remove your name and contact information from all postal mailing lists used by our office
- Do Not Solicit: This will remove your name and contact information from lists used specifically for the solicitation of philanthropic donations
- No Phone Solicitation: This will remove your name and contact information from lists used specifically for solicitation specific to telephone campaigns
- Do Not Contact: This means we will not contact you in any form mentioned above
OUR COMPLIANCE WITH THE EUROPEAN UNION GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATION (EU-GDPR)
The GDPR provides additional protections to personal data created in or sent from the European Union. Pratt Institute has constituents, including alumni, from all over the world, and may process personal data from the EU for marketing purposes. The GDPR stipulates that consent to process personal data must be freely given in an intelligible and easily accessible form, using clear and plain language. If you are an EU citizen, wishing to provide or withdraw consent to the Pratt Institute to process your personal information, please contact the Office of Institutional Advancement at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please contact Pratt’s Office of Information Technology at email@example.com with any questions or concerns regarding GDPR.
You also have the following data rights:
- Right to be Informed – this Privacy Notice informs you about the collection and use of your data
- Right of Access – you have the right to access your data
- Right of Rectification – you have the right to request corrections to your data
- Right to Ensure – you have the right to delete or restrict how your information is used
- Right to Restrict Processing – you have the right to limit how we use your data
- Right to Data Portability – you have the right to reuse your data for other purposes
- Right to Object – you have the right to object your data at any time
- Right to Relation to Automated Processing and Profiling – you have the right not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing, including profiling
You may exercise these rights by contacting the Office of Institutional Advancement at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OTHER RELEVANT PRATT CONTACT
Executive Director of Advancement Operations
Division of Institutional Advancement
200 Willoughby Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11205
PRATT Institute may update or change this privacy notice at any time.