Skip to content

Student Employment

What is Student Employment?

Student Employment at Pratt is a program that allows students on-campus employment opportunities while engaging in their studies. Student Employment consists of Federal Work Study (FWS), Student Help (SH), and Graduate Assistantship (GA). FWS also includes the America Reads program. Federal Work Study is funded by the federal government for students with financial need. Pratt finances Student Help and Graduate Assistantship positions. At Pratt, student employment is a partnership between the following offices: Budget, Financial Aid, the Center for Career & Professional Development (CCPD), Human Resources, Payroll, the Bursar, and the supervisors in each department or office who oversee student employees. 

A student wishing to be employed during their time at Pratt should contact CCPD. CCPD is a resource for job-seeking students. It maintains an online jobs database, PrattJobs, accessible to all enrolled Pratt graduate and undergraduate students. All students have access and can search and apply for jobs, subscribe to JobMail, and post a resume through the site. Once a student is chosen by the supervisor for employment, The Office of Human Resources assists students with completing all employment forms. Timesheets are managed online by students and supervisors, with support from the Payroll office. Please do not hesitate to email any questions to Student Employment, at

A Student Employment position is defined as temporary, part-time employment. Students are not eligible for fringe benefits, overtime, holiday, or compensatory pay. Students must meet eligibility requirements and this employment is intended to give students with financial need an opportunity to earn money to help pay for their educational expenses. It also encourages students to gain valuable career-related experience as well as promotes community-service employment opportunities.

Student Employment is an option to work, not a requirement. If a student chooses not to work, no additional action is necessary. Students who do not want to work under FWS may apply for additional loans, if they have not yet reached their maximum loan borrowing limit for a particular year.

Federal Work Study (FWS)

Federal Work Study is a program that is funded by the federal government, and is part of a student’s Financial Aid package. In order for a student to participate in the FWS Program you have to be eligible for Financial Aid and complete the FAFSA and enrolled for at least six (6) credits for the current semester.

Student Help (SH)

Student Help is a program that allows students employment opportunities while continuing their studies here at Pratt. Students do not need to be eligible for financial aid to participate in SH.