Faculty and Staff Mail Information
The Mail Center is responsible for the distribution, collection, and processing of the Institute’s mail and overnight letters.
Additional Services Provided:
- Inter-Office Mail Tracking Services
- PB SendPro Enterprise System Support
- Bulk Mail Addressing Support
- Mailing List Management
- Domestic Presorted bulk mailings Support (First-Class and Non-Profit)
- Mailpiece Design Assistance
- Business & Courtesy Reply mail design
We ask that you please notify us at least 2 weeks in advance of scheduling large mailings to ensure there are sufficient funds in the account to complete the job. Last-minute job requests may result in a delayed distribution to the post office.
INBOUND MAIL & PACKAGE DISTRIBUTION
The daily distribution of general campus mail through the Mail Center is limited to official communication intended for Institute departments. Pratt Mail Services is not responsible for internal campus mail that is intended to be used for personal gain, commercial advertising for organizations, or individuals who are not affiliated with the Institute.
ADDRESSING INCOMING MAIL & PACKAGES
Improperly addressed Inbound mail, and packages can complicate and delay the delivery process, and times can result in a failure to deliver the package to its intended destination or recipient. Unfortunately, such occurrences can delay the delivery of time sensitive materials.
To ensure proper and timely delivery, please review and use the following address formats:
Letters, cards, and large envelopes should be addressed as follows:
Your Full Name
Full Department Name
200 Willoughby Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11205
All large Items, packages and boxes should be addressed as follows:
Your Full Name
Full Department Name
379 DeKalb Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11205
Inter-office mail/items should be addressed as follows:
Full Department Name
Building name, floor, and room number
NOTE: All attempted deliveries to alternative locations, such as Myrtle hall, Higgins hall, or Willoughby hall will be re-routed to the Mail Center and or Receiving Department. Depending on the delivery courier’s policy, some deliveries may be refused and required to be re-addressed.
PLEASE BE ADVISED: Pratt’s address should not be used to receive personal packages or correspondence. The Mail Center will not deliver, nor will Pratt be responsible for the delivery of any personal packages or correspondence.
TRACKING A LETTER OR A PACKAGE
The only way to trace a letter or package that was sent via US Postal Service is if it is sent via registered, insured, certified/return receipt or delivery confirmation. Private Couriers such as UPS, FedEx, etc. can also be traced.
NOTE: All correspondence that requires tracking must be processed through our SendPro system. Letters/packages with postage only (metered) cannot be traced.
See Inter-office tracking services for sensitive inter-office mail.
OUTBOUND, INTER-OFFICE MAIL, AND PACKAGES
OUTBOUND AND INTER-OFFICE MAIL PROCESSING
Properly prepared outbound First-Class mail collected during the day (excluding mailings of 50 pieces or more) will be processed and delivered to the US Postal Service (USPS) office by the end of the day.
Outbound mail must be in the Mail Center before 4 PM for same day delivery to the USPS. If you miss the cut off time, your mail will be sent out the next business day.
Note: summer cut off time is 3 PM.
Inter-Office mail collected during the day will be delivered the next business day. However, any campus mail that is handed to the Mail Center before 11 AM will be delivered on that day.
INTER-OFFICE MAIL TRACKING SERVICES
We now offer tracking services for sensitive inter-office mail. We will log any requested interoffice envelopes into our system so that a signature will be required upon delivery to the appropriate department. Please complete the form in order to coordinate a SIM delivery.
Pratt Mail Services offers a delivery service to the Manhattan campus twice per week (Tuesdays and Fridays).
All mail bound for the Manhattan campus must be in the Mail Center one business day before the delivery day.
PREPARING OUTGOING US POSTAL MAIL AND ADDRESSING
The following guidelines are to ensure that outgoing mail is processed efficiently:
- US Postal mail should be separated from campus inter-office mail.
- Domestic mail should be separated from international mail and must have a customs form attached if necessary.
- International mail addressed to Mexico, or Canada should be separated from other countries.
PREPARING OUTGOING PACKAGES
All outbound packages must be processed through PB SendPro Enterprise Shipping System (PB SendPro). This software enables us to ship and shop rates through UPS, USPS, and FedEx.
PB SendPro will be used to ship all packages, express mail, priority mail, international express/priority, and any correspondence that requires a tracking number. You will not be able to track any metered mail or package.
SendPro system is an online shipping software that enables us to shop rates through UPS, USPS, and FedEx.
It works in the following way:
- Create your shipment through the “ship request” portal
- Print the resulting barcode and attach it to the outgoing package
- Place the package near the outgoing mailbox
- Mail Services staff will pick the item up if it is a flat (large or express envelope). Receiving will pick it up if it is a box (please note, you may have to call Receiving to request a pick-up).
- The web address to the system is https://prattedu.sendproenterprise.com/
Please email us at email@example.com for access/training to SendPro Enterprise.
ADDITIONAL GUIDELINES FOR METERED MAIL
- All mail should be stacked with the address facing the same direction.
- All flats (large envelopes) and overstuffed letters must be sealed prior to pick up for metering.
- Please notify the Mail Center in advance for mailings that contain 50 pieces or more.
- Glossy cards cannot be metered; they must be pre-stamped instead.
- Please use white or light-colored envelopes. The US Postal Service optical character readers do not recognize or read an address block if there is not enough contrast between the background color of the envelope and the ink used to print the address.
- All mail processed by Pratt Mail Services must relate to business within the Institute. Personal mail cannot be processed through the Mail Center.
US POSTAL SERVICE CUSTOMS FORMS
International mail generally requires a customs form. Exceptions include First-Class Mail International and Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelopes that weigh less than 13 oz., are no more than 3/4″ thick, and contain only documents. The forms are required to depend on the service being used and the declared value of the mail. Every country has unique requirements; to learn about country-specific customs requirements please visit www.usps.com/ship/customs-forms.htm.
UNITED PARCEL SERVICE (UPS) DROPBOX
A UPS Express mail drop box is located at the main gate, next to the security booth. Their pickup time is at 6:30 PM. Items that do not fit in the dropbox may be brought to the Mail Center two hours prior to closing time. Be advised, Pratt Mail Services does not offer a package pickup service. The Receiving department can be contacted for those services.