Skip to content

Study Abroad FAQs

What are the requirements to study abroad?

Undergraduate students must have completed their second year of school and have a GPA of at least 3.0 to study abroad. Graduate students must have completed their first year and have a GPA of at least 3.0.

How do I apply?

Search for programs using the search engines in TerraDotta and apply by selecting “Apply Now” on the program brochure page. Apply or request information by logging in using your Pratt OneKey. You will fill out the required information and can save your progress along the way. To view important deadlines, visit the deadlines page for a full list. If you have any questions about the application process, email Download the Pratt Application Tutorial with TerraDotta for step-by-step instructions on how to apply using TerraDotta.

Where can I study abroad?

You can study abroad based on your major and where you have been nominated by Pratt. You can also choose to study abroad with API and SAI by visiting their website and browsing schools and locations based on your studies.

When can I study abroad?

Pratt offers semester programs for fall and spring, summer, and even a short program for spring break. Each school varies on when it accepts students to travel. Check with the program of your interest to see when it is available.

Do I have to study in my major?

Yes, students receive course credit for the classes they take abroad. These will contribute to your major.

What classes can I take?

Each school offers a course catalog that outlines classes that are to be taken in your major. Before studying abroad, you will be given a form to have the courses approved by your department.

Can I get financial aid?

Financial aid is given to students taking at least 6 credits. It is important that you apply to financial aid services as soon as you think you will need it to study abroad. Learn more information about financial resources.

Where can I live abroad?

Some schools offer on campus living that you can register for before studying abroad. Schools that do not offer campus living will require you to find a host home or apartment.

How can I communicate with my family/student while abroad?

There are many social applications and methods to communicating while abroad. Some methods require a cost and can get expensive depending on what you choose. However, there are also many free options as well. View our recommendations for families and students to use for video, voice, and instant message communication.

What personal documents do I need to study abroad?

In most cases, you will need a Visa or Passport to study abroad. All students studying abroad will need travel insurance. You will also need adequate funds to live while abroad and have the correct form of currency during your stay.

How long are the programs?

Semester exchange programs last for the entirety of the school’s semester depending on when you study (Fall or Spring). Because of differences in holidays, some schools have different semesters than just our typical fall and spring dates. There are also summer programs that range from 2 weeks to 6 weeks depending on the credits. Check with your program to see when your potential semester takes place.

I don’t see a program for my school. Can I still study abroad?

We are partnered with other schools through programs such as API and SAI. You can browse both of their websites to see what school and locations are available. It is your responsibility to make sure that the school you choose is partnered with Pratt and that the courses you have chosen will fulfill your academic requirements.

I was nominated to study abroad. What do I do now?

All students nominated to study abroad must accept their nomination through TerraDotta. You will then need to apply to your institution by their application date. You must apply to the school so that they can register you as a student for classes and receive your credits. If you do not apply, they will not recognize you as a student.

You need to have your classes approved by your chairperson and your department using the online PEX registration form. You can find the classes you will be taking by visiting your institution’s website or contacting them directly.

If your country requires you to have a visa for long-term stay, apply immediately and avoid last-minute complications. Learn more about information about visas and what you need to apply for one. Visas may be required for students before traveling to Denmark, France, Korea, Sweden, Japan, Italy, and Australia. Temporary residency application may be required for students once arriving to Germany and Netherlands. Pratt Institute is not responsible for helping students secure their own visas.

You will need to apply for travel insurance before you study abroad. Pratt offers HTH Worldwide Insurance to its students. Please contact Maria Jose Soares or the Study Abroad assistant for questions.

I was denied to study abroad. What do I do now?

You can review your application to find out why you were not nominated to study abroad. Students who were denied to study abroad will need to continue registering for classes at Pratt. Students who still want to study abroad will have more opportunities to apply in the future while they are still a student in good academic standing.

I’m going to be abroad during an election, but I still need to vote. Can I vote abroad?

Yes! All students are encouraged to apply for an absentee ballot if they will be away from their voting residence during an election cycle. Students at Pratt can also choose to do this. Learn more about how to vote absentee.


If you are receiving financial aid, you can use it during your semester-long programs. You should make an appointment with your Student Financial Services Counselor as soon as possible. They will assist you with the distribution of your aid to cover the additional costs of studying abroad. If you are studying abroad in the Summer, or during Spring break, students typically pay these costs themselves. For information on external scholarship opportunities, please check out the list we have compiled on our TerraDotta website here. This list is not exhaustive, so feel free to do your own research as well.