Student Safety and Security Tips
How to Contact the Pratt Campus Safety Department
In case of an emergency on or off campus, call 911.
To reach Pratt Public Safety, dial extension 3333 from any on-campus landline phone or call +1 (718) 636-3540.
Non-emergencies: 718-636-3540 and the PrattSafe app.
Safety Escort Service
Call 718-636-3540 and Pratt officers will provide an after-hours safety escort.
Do Not Fall Victim to Crimes of Opportunity.
What Is a Crime of Opportunity?
A crime of opportunity is an unpremeditated crime. It is when a perpetrator seizes an opportunity to commit a crime they did not plan to commit. For example, if we unintentionally leave valuables unattended, it creates an opportunity for someone to steal them.
Never leave personal property unattended!
Protect Your Bicycle from Theft
- Use a U-Lock to secure your bike.
- Report suspicious activity near bike racks.
- Always secure your bike to a bike rack.
- Register your bike with Pratt or the police.
- Engrave your bike with your driver’s license number.
When Walking through NYC
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Travel in well-lit, high-traffic areas.
- Walk with a friend and or near a group of people
- Avoid shortcuts, pathways, and poorly lit parking lots.
- Be alert. Have your keys ready before you enter your residence or vehicle.
- Keep your personal belongings close by and secure.
Be Aware of the Area around You
- Don’t give out personal information.
- If you are in trouble, attract help any way you can. Yell, call for help, and scream.
- If a driver stops to ask directions, avoid getting near the vehicle.
- Carry a whistle and use it if you feel you are in danger.
Keep Yourself Safe
- Call 911 if you are in danger or you are not able to get back to campus safely.
- Use the Pratt Safe app to contact Campus Safety at any time for help.
If You Feel You Are Being Followed…
- Indicate your suspicion by looking behind you.
- Cross the street, change directions, and head to a well-lit area.
- Go to a public place with people as soon as possible (e.g., a residence, storefront, or academic building, and call 911).
- If you are in immediate danger, yell for help. It attracts more attention.
- Never confront a person who you think may be following you.
Walking to Your Vehicle and Driving Tips
- Have your keys ready to enter your vehicle, and check around and inside before entering.
- Be aware of foot traffic around you and report all suspicious activity.
- Drive with doors locked and windows up.
- When stopped behind a vehicle, leave sufficient space in front of you (being able to see the bottom of the tires of the vehicle ahead of you) in case an emergency escape is necessary.
When Parking and Exiting Your Vehicle
- Park in a well-lighted and well-traveled lot or area, if possible.
- Keep your vehicle well maintained.
- Be cautious of surrounding obstructions or natural barriers that might conceal a thief.
- Turn off the ignition and take the keys with you.
- Close all windows and lock all doors.
- Do not leave money, electronics, or anything else of value in plain view inside your vehicle.
When Taking the Bus
- Stay awake and be aware of your surroundings.
- Sit near the driver, if a seat is available.
- Know your route before you travel.
- Secure your belongings.
Four Keys to Preventing Crime
- Trust your instincts
- Plan ahead
- Use common sense
Thank you! Be Safe, Be Aware! Enjoy Living, Working, and Studying at Pratt.