Adjunct Associate Professor Humanities & Media Studies firstname.lastname@example.org 718.636.3790 p Brooklyn Campus, DeKalb Hall 3
Current Course Listing (7)
PhD, UC Berkeley
BA, Brown University
Paul Haacke's first book, The Vertical Imagination and the Crisis of Transatlantic Modernism, is forthcoming with Oxford University Press in Spring, 2021. In addition to journalistic and creative writing, he has published and presented scholarly work in a range of interdisciplinary fields of study, including comparative literature; cinema and media; architecture and the built environment; urbanization, globalization, and political ecology; history and memory; and philosophy and critical theory.
- "The Melancholic Voice-Over in Film Noir."JCMS: Journal of Cinema and Media Studies, vol. 58 no. 2 (Winter 2019).
- "Enchanted Catastrophe." Thresholds 45: Myth (2017).
- "Kafka's Political Animals." Philosophy and Kafka (Lexington Books, 2013).
- "The Brechtian Exception: From Weimar to the Cold War." diacritics, vol. 40, no. 3 (2013).
- "Spatial Historiography and Empire in Michael Butor's Degrés." French Forum, vol. 34, no. 2 (Spring 2010).
- "Meat Market Memories." Pin-Up, no. 8 (Spring 2010).
- "Regarding the Invisible Hand." Baltic Triennial CCA in Vilnius and ICA in London (Winter 2003).
- "The History of Beginnings." In These Times (April 16, 2001).
Selected Presentations and Conference Papers:
- "Remapping Ground Zero: New York, Hiroshima, New Mexico." Decolonizing the Map conference, Pratt Institute, New York (April, 2018).
- "Modernist Air Rights." American Comparative Literature Association conference, Los Angeles (March, 2018).
- "Hitchcock's Vertigo of Verticality." Society for Cinema and Media Studies conference, Toronto (March, 2018).
- "V-Letters: Conscripts of the American Century." Locating Post-45 conference, University of Pennsylvania (March, 2015).
- "Leopold Bloom's Liquid Modernity." American Comparative Literature Association conference, New York (March, 2014).
- "The Creative Destruction of Modernism." Modernist Studies Association conference, Las Vegas (October, 2012).
- "John Dos Passos and the Tragedy of Architecture." Spatial Perspectives: Literature and Architecture conference, Oxford University (June 2012).
- "Enchanted Catastrophe: Le Corbusier and Léger on the Vertical Mystique of Modernist Manhattan." Modernist Manhattan conference, New York Institute of Technology (March 2012).
- "The Vertical Streetscape." American Comparative Literature Association conference, Vancouver, Canada (April 2011).
- "Kafka's Political Animals." International Society for the Study of European Ideas conference, Ankara, Turkey (August 2010).
- "Bertolt Brecht and the State of Exception." German Studies Association conference, Oakland, California (October 2010).
- "Alfred Hitchcock and the Age of Global Terror." American Comparative Literature Association conference, Harvard University (March 2009).
- "Michael Haneke's Contradictory Realism." Real Things conference, University of York, England (June 2007).