Skip to content

View our webinar (Pratt OneKey required)

Degree-seeking international students are eligible to work in on-campus student employment jobs at Pratt. This may include regular hourly paid work as a student employee and/or stipend work through a Graduate Assistantship. On-campus employment is limited to 20 hours per week during the Fall and Spring semesters, and can be up to 35 hours in Summer term or school breaks.

Certificate students, GID students, and undergraduate exchange students are not eligible for on-campus employment. Also by law, international students are not eligible for “Federal Work Study,” because those funds are for U.S. government financial aid. 


Some available on-campus positions are posted to the Student Employment website, but not all. We recommend students inquire directly with Pratt offices and departments that you may be interested in working with. Make sure to read your email as some job opportunities come that way. You also can take the Connections Leadership Course to become eligible for student leadership jobs. Connect with the Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD) for advice as needed.

If you get an on-campus job offer, your future supervisor will submit hiring forms to Human Resources (HR). As a new hire, you will also need to submit paperwork to HR.

If you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN) yet, you will also need to apply for an SSN after receiving your on-campus job offer.


Hiring an international student generally requires the same hiring paperwork as a domestic student. If the international student does not have an SSN, the SSN Letter is one extra document needed. 

If your international student new hire needs an SSN, you should complete the SSN letter template, using the student’s legal passport name, and print the letter on letterhead. The Social Security Administration (SSA) will not accept copies, digital signatures, or letters without letterhead. The SSA requires a handwritten ink signature from the Hiring Supervisor on the letter. After you sign, an OIA Designated School Official (DSO) must also sign with a handwritten signature. Please deliver the original letter to OIA (Myrtle Hall 2E-5). We have a drop-off envelope on our door, so the letter can be left outside of our office hours. 

After our DSO signs the SSN letter, we will contact the student to pick it up and continue their SSN application