Skip to content


There are specific regulations that govern international students’ employment in the United States. OIA is your first stop before beginning any employment. The advisors can also help you explore the options available to you based on your immigration status and provide guidance to ensure you will not violate your status. 

While enrolled as a student, you can work a total of 20 hours weekly during the semester between however many positions you hold, whether through on-campus employment and/or via single or multiple employers on CPT.

The menu on the left provides more details regarding each type of employment. The employment opportunities for you will vary depending on your visa classification.

Employment Options for F-1 Students
  1. On-Campus Employment
  2. Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  3. Optional Practical Training (OPT)
  4. Economic Hardship
Employment Options for J-1 Exchange Visitors
  1. Academic Training