To maintain valid standing, international students are required to be enrolled full-time and making good progress towards their degree or educational objective.
Full-time enrollment is required in the academic year, Fall and Spring semesters. Credit minimums for immigration purposes are listed below.
- 12 credits per semester for Undergraduate students
- 9 credits per semester for Graduate students
- exception: 8 credit minimum for Arts and Cultural Management or Design Management
- 18 clock hours per week for Certificate students
Please note that your academic requirements for progress in your degree program may be higher than the minimum.
EXCEPTIONS TO FULL-TIME ENROLLMENT
A few exceptions to the full-time enrollment requirement are possible, which require advance approval from a OIA Designated School Official (DSO). If you wish to enroll in a less than full-time courseload, or drop a course during the semester which will cause you to fall below the full-time minimum, you should apply for an Exception to full-time enrollment
- Final semester or Thesis
The most common reason for Exception is for students in the final semester of study who need less than full-time enrollment to complete the program.
The other common reason is for Graduate students who have completed all the coursework besides the thesis and thesis course.
To get Exception to Full-time approval for your final semester or thesis progress:
1) Complete Exception to Full-time Form Section 1.
2) Ask your academic advisor/department advisor to complete and sign Section 2.
3) Email the completed form to OIA@pratt.edu.
- Medical situation
Students experiencing medical issues that affect either physical or mental capability to be full-time enrolled may be eligible for an Exception. You should contact Pratt’s Student Advocate and Care Coordinato if you feel this is your situation.