Comic Arts Brooklyn
- ARC Building, Brooklyn Campus
- November 2, 2019 at 11:00 AM - 7:00 PM
The third annual Comic Arts Brooklyn will bring over 250 exhibitors presenting books, prints, art and comics.
Comic Arts Brooklyn returns with a must-see celebration of modern cartooning featuring Chris Ware, Aline Kominsky-Crumb, Art Spiegelman, and hundreds of cutting-edge artists and publishers.
Free and open to the public.
This event is sponsored by Pratt Institute and Desert Island Comics.
Brooklyn comics store Desert Island presents its eleventh-annual free festival at Pratt Institute, which draws exhibitors and guests from around the world to Pratt’s 42,000 sq ft ARC building, the second-largest room in Brooklyn. CAB director Gabe Fowler welcomes new co-curator Courtney Menard, a printmaker and illustrator who has helped bring new voices to the festival and emphasize a commitment to print as an art form.
This year’s show includes a full day of free talks and lectures on Pratt’s campus, including:
- Chris Ware interviewed by Art Speigelman and Françoise Mouly about his career since appearing in their RAW magazine in 1981
- Aline Kominsky-Crumb interviewed by Lauren Weinstein about the lives and loves of alter ego Honeybunch Kominsky
- Charles Burns and Gary Panter discussing “Drawing as a way of Thinking”
- Kim Deitch and Nina Bunjevac interviewing each other about “The Sublime Detail”
- “Decolonising Comics,” exploring why comix and zines are spearheading the conversation around decolonization
- “Invisible Wall: Drawing Across Borders,” a surrealist-activist drawing game between artists from New York and Mexico
All this, plus over 300 artists and exhibitors selling comics, artists’ books, prints, and ephemera, including endless rare, self-published, and exclusive material.
THE FOLLOWING DAY, join us at Market Hotel to unwind at the free CABaret Voltaire variety show, curated by Matthew Thurber. Including: Ben Katchor on Dairy Restaurants! Puppet show by John Mejias! True confessions by Siobahn Gallagher! A Siberian comic fest documentary! Vintage cartoons! Comedy! Weird performances! Andrew Jeffrey Wright! Julia Gfrörer! Surprise and Revelation! CABaret Voltaire Market Hotel, 1140 Myrtle Ave, 2-7 PM, Sunday 11/3
ACCESS TO PRATT PROGRAMS AND ACTIVITIESPratt strives to make all programs, services and activities accessible, and will provide assistance to accommodate any individuals with disabilities. Security personnel, located at booths at 200 Willoughby Avenue and other campus locations, are available for assistance. Additional accessibility resources are available at pratt.edu/accessibility