Industrial Design Department to Exhibit Innovative Works at 8th Annual BKLYN DESIGNS Show May 7-9
Pratt Institute Department of Industrial Design will exhibit furniture, lighting, tabletop, and accessories design work at the 8th annual BKLYN DESIGNSTM show Friday, May 7 - Sunday, May 9 at St. Ann's Warehouse, 38 Water Street in DUMBO. The show will be open on Friday, May 7 from 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; Saturday, May 8 from 10 a.m.-7 p.m; and Sunday, May 9 from 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Tickets are $15 at the door, $12 if purchased online, and $10 for all students with a valid student identification.
BKLYN DESIGNSTM is an annual contemporary design exhibition that will feature 45 of Brooklyn's top designers handpicked by a jury composed of editors from leading design and shelter publications, such as New York and Interior Design magazines; and representatives from acclaimed New York City educational and cultural institutions, such as the Brooklyn and Guggenheim museums. Founded in 2003, the BKLYN DESIGNSTM tradeshow features numerous exhibits, demonstrations, panel discussions, keynote speakers, activities, and special events. This year's show, which kicks off New York Design Week, will offer industrial design students at Pratt the opportunity to exhibit their innovative products to more than 6,500 guests over the course of three days.
Industrial design Professor Tim Richartz has curated this year's Pratt Booth at BKLYN DESIGNSTM, which will feature outstanding original works by more than 12 industrial design students. Works include:
· an adjustable room screen (Hex) by Natalie Apuzzo;
· a red oak and Starphire glass drop-leaf dining table (Modern Harvest) by Alex Binsted;
· a lamp of ceramic, cork, steel, and textile cord (cLamp) by Ayça Çakmakli;
· rubber and reclaimed wood stools with snap-fit connections (Sweet) by Christian Dobrick;
· a walnut inlay and hemp rope swing (Fugle Swing) by Christina Fesmire;
· a lamp of woven Mukra (Hand in Hand) by Heléne Kenny, designed in collaboration with indigenous Wai Wai weavers in Guyana;
· a reclaimed cedar wood and powder-coated steel chair for two (Schair) by Charlotte Kreitmann;
· a plywood and maple book shelf (Access Shelf) by Rebecca Marshall;
· a sustainably harvested lamp of Mukra vine and steel (Bee Lamp) designed in collaboration with indigenous Wai Wai weavers in Guyana and a bright blue steel and glass table (Empathy for Las Vegas), both by Catherine Merrick;
· an EVA foam shelf (Clutch) by Amyel Oliveros;
· a lightweight, Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)-certified red oak table, which can be assembled with only a mallet in under a minute (Pin-Up Table) by Brian Persico;
· mouth-blown glassware sets (Family) by Kyle Sola;
· an acid-etched and mirror-polished aluminum coffee table/bench and side table/stool (Surface) by Tobin Spann;
· and a three-legged aluminum table with a glass top (Mantis Table) by Alvaro Uribe.
Pre-registered professional members of the trade are invited to attend and tickets can be purchased online at http://www.bklyndesigns.com
St. Ann's Warehouse is easily accessible by subway and car. The closest subways are the A, C, F, 2, or 3 trains. For parking, turn off Water Street into the Warehouse entrance, which is located between Main and Dock streets.
BKLYN DESIGNSTM is sponsored by Pratt Institute, Greenpoint Manufacturing and Design Center (GMDC), Two Trees Management, aptsandlofts.com, One Brooklyn Bridge Park, Artistic Tile, Benjamin Moore, Vespa Brooklyn, and Con Edison, and media partners Interior Design, and New York magazine, Dwell, and Inhabitat.com. BKLYN DESIGNSTM receives additional support from Speaker Sheldon Silver and the Brooklyn Delegation to the NYS Assembly, Speaker Christine Quinn and the Brooklyn Delegation to the NYC Council, and the NYC Department of Small Business Services.
For more information on BKLYN DESIGNSTM and to see a full list of 2010 exhibitors, please visit http://www.bklyndesigns.com or call Auster Agency at 718.243.1414.