PREFERRED NAME CHANGE
Pratt Institute recognizes that many members of the Pratt community prefer to use names other than their legal name to identify themselves. A preferred name is the name you use to identify yourself, other than your legal name. There are many reasons that a person may choose to use a name that is different from their legal name. This policy gives Pratt the ability to accommodate the needs of people in this situation while complying with legal necessities.
It is the policy of the Institute to provide all members of our community with the opportunity to use a name that is different from their legal name where possible. In some instances, the Institute is obliged to use a person's legal name and cannot use a chosen or preferred name. Such instances include but are not limited to: employment and payroll records, health insurance records, billing records, financial aid documents, reimbursements, travel and purchasing authorizations, official transcripts, etc.
Passport Change Policy
In June 2010, the State Department announced a new policy to issue passports that reflect a person's current gender when either a previous passport or other personal documentation presented by an applicant reflects a different gender. Under the new policy, a transgender person can obtain a passport reflecting his or her current gender by submitting a certification from a physician confirming that he or she has had appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition. Learn more.
Legal Name Changes
The process of legally changing one's name can be hard to navigate. The National Center for Transgender Equality has created a one-stop hub for name and gender change information. Find out how to get a legal name change where you live and update your name/gender on state and federal IDs and records. Learn more.
The restrooms listed below have been designated All-Gender Restrooms located on the Pratt Brooklyn campus. The Pratt Manhattan campus has an All-Gender Restroom on each floor. These restrooms may be used by any person regardless of their gender identity and/or expression. Download the map.
- Cannoneer Court: 1st Floor South Lounge
- DeKalb Hall: Lower Level Rooms T-001 and T-002
- Design Center: 1st Floor Room T-102, 3rd Floor Room T-304
- East Hall: 3rd Floor Room T-301
- Esther Lloyd-Jones Hall: 1st Floor Lounge
- Higgins Hall: North 1st Floor Room T-100, North 2nd Floor Room T-200, North 3rd Floor Room T-300, North 4th Floor Room T-400, North 5th Floor Room T-500
- ISC Building: 4th Floor Room T-401
- Library: Lower Level Rooms T-002A and T-002B
- Machinery Hall: Lower Level Room T-001
- Main Building: 3rd Floor Room T-304, 5th Floor Room T-501, 6th Floor Room T-601
- Memorial Hall: Lower Level Room T-003
- Myrtle Hall: 4th Floor
- Pantas Hall: 1st Floor Lounge
- Stabile Hall: 1st Floor Lounge
- Willoughby Hall: 1st Floor Lounge