WHAT IS CPT?
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is employment that is an integral or important part of an F-1 student curriculum.
AM I ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?
An international student with an F-1 status is eligible for CPT if they have been full-time and maintaining lawful status for at least one academic year (two consecutive semesters). CPT authorization is required for paid or unpaid internships.
WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW?
You must receive CPT authorization from OIA before starting your internship (paid or unpaid), so plan accordingly.
Working without authorization is a violation of federal regulations, resulting in the loss of valid immigration status.
Starting to work before or continuing to work beyond the dates authorized on your I-20 is a violation of federal regulations, resulting in the loss of valid immigration status.
CPT cannot be authorized retroactively.
REQUIRED STEPS Before APPLYING
- Watch the Internship Orientation video with the Center for Career and Professional Development and complete the quiz for international students.
- Enroll in an internship class for the semester you wish to intern
- Find an internship related to your field of study
- Gather all the documents listed below before coming to OIA
HOW DO I APPLY?
Please bring these documents to the OIA during walk-in hours or make an appointment:
- An unexpired passport (must be valid six months into the future)
- Your current I-20
- Copy of your class registration for the semester for which you want CPT (must show your internship class as Registered). Go to your MyPratt > Academic Tools to get your class registration.
- Copy of paper I-94 card or Most Recent I-94 Record.
CPT Department Form – completed and signed by your department (Chair/Assistant Chair/Department Internship Coordinator/Department Internship Faculty)
- A signed letter on letterhead from the employer stating:
- Begin and end date of employment
- Number of hours per week
- 20 hours max per week during the semester (full time allowed during school breaks)
- Description of your job duties (must be related to your major)
- Name and address with zip code of the company
- Paid/unpaid employment
All documents are subject to the discretion of the OIA Advisor.
- To register for the internship class, contact the Center for Career & Professional Development for instructions on the process you must follow to register. They are located in East Hall, 1st Floor.
- While enrolled as a student, you can work a total of 20 hours weekly during the semester between however many positions you hold, whether through on-campus employment and/or via single or multiple employers on CPT.
- Students cannot obtain CPT authorization without taking the Internship Class.
- Summer CPT processing hours may be different. Please contact OIA before coming to apply for CPT in the summer to check the hours.