Welcome to the Pratt community!

For many international students, the Office of International Affairs (OIA) becomes a home away from home. We are here to assist you in many different ways, including issuing your I-20 or DS-2019 so that you can obtain an F-1 or J-1 visa. It is essential that you submit your information quickly to ensure that there is enough time for you to obtain a visa and enter the US to begin your course of study.

We are excited to have you join us and wish you a pleasant journey!

After Arrival

Check-In with OIA

Orientation Schedule on a free app called Guidebook.


All new international students must complete the online International Student Form before coming to Pratt. If you are applying for a F-1 or J-1 visa, this form is how you apply for the I-20 or DS-2019. If you are attending Pratt in a status Other Than F-1 (i.e. F-2, H-4, J-2), this form is required.

An OIA hold is placed on your registration until the International Student Form is completed.

Note that you can only begin the International Student Form after having paid your program deposit and receiving your OneKey. Students returning from a leave of absence do not need to pay the deposit again.

Check the application times below and then go to the OIA Intranet page for New Students to start the application process. 


For students starting in the Spring semester: October 1–November 1
For students starting in the Summer semester: March 15–April 15
For students starting in the Fall semester: April 1–June 1

* OIA will not review your I-20/DS-2019 application if you submit the International Student Form and supporting documents before the opening date for the semester you wish to begin your program of study at Pratt. If you submit your documents too early, you will need to submit the International Student Form and supporting documents again during the appropriate timeframe.

** If applications are received after the deadline, they will still be processed, but may delay the issuance of your I-20/DS-2019, which is required to obtain an F-1 visa.


Transfer students refer to students who are transferring from one school in the United States to Pratt. Check out our transfer process guide for more information on how to transfer to Pratt Institute from another U.S. school. View the Transfer Process Guide.

As a transfer student, you will need to go through the same I-20 Request Process as listed in the above "Request I-20 Forms" instructions and also submit an additional form: the Transfer Certification Form (which must be completed by you and your International Student Advisor at the other school). View the Transfer Certification Form.


Pratt welcomes all J-1 students. J-1 students need a DS-2019 to get their J-1 visa. Some organizations issue their own DS-2019, like IIE, LASPAU, or AMIDEAST. Pratt issues DS-2019 forms for other students who are fully sponsored by their government or at least 51% by Pratt.

J-1 status has many benefits and many restrictions. Students usually cannot choose to have a J-1 visa. They are usually told by their sponsor that they are required to get one due to the two year home residency requirement.

To see if you qualify for a J-1 visa please contact your organization or send an email to oia@pratt.edu to see if Pratt can issue you a DS-2019.

Estimated Expenses