1. GET TO A SAFE PLACE
After experiencing a traumatizing event such as sexual assault, it can be important to find a place where you feel comfortable and safe from harm. This location could be:
- friend’s room
- Pratt Health and Counseling Office
- local hospital
- police station
Talk with someone you trust and tell them what happened.
If you would like to have a Survivor Advocate meet or accompany you to a local hospital or New York City Precinct please contact the Health Office (Willoughby Hall - 718.399.4542.) or The Counseling Center (ISC Building – 718.687.5356) during normal business hours.
2. CALL FOR ASSISTANCE
For IMMEDIATE protection and assistance 24 hours
ON CAMPUS, call Campus Security at 718.636.3540
OFF CAMPUS, call 911.
3. SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION In order to:
- Check for injuries; you may have injuries that you can't see or feel
- Prevent sexually transmitted infections and obtain preventative medication
- Prevent pregnancy
- Have physical and medical evidence of the assault for legal purposes, see a specially trained sexual assault nurse examiner within 96 hours of the assault.
- Collect evidence: Evidence collection does not require you to place a report with the police; this process preserves evidence for the future (this may vary by state).
Pratt Health Center
215 Willoughby Avenue, Suite 117
Brooklyn, NY 11205
Woodhull Medical Center
Brooklyn, NY 11206
Beth Israel Medical Center
First Avenue and East 16th Street
New York, NY 10003
4. PRESERVE EVIDENCE
For the purpose of evidence collection, IF POSSIBLE, avoid:
- Brushing your teeth
- Combing your hair
- Changing your clothes
If you have done any of these things, evidence can still be collected and remains important to seek medical attention. If you have changed your clothes, take the clothes you were wearing at the time of the assault to the hospital in a paper bag (not a plastic bag). If you have not changed your clothes it may be a good idea to bring a change of clothes to the hospital.
5. CONSIDER TALKING WITH A COUNSELOR
Counseling is often helpful for survivors because it provides a safe and confidential place to talk about your experience and your feelings.
To speak with a counselor, contact:
Pratt Counseling Center (on-campus)
ISC Building 3rd Floor, Brooklyn NY 11205
Safe Horizon (off-campus)
Safe Horizon provides support and services to sexual assault survivors, including in-person help, as well as referrals for resources ranging from medical assistance to counseling.
- Call our Rape, Sexual Assault, and Incest Hotline (New York City): 212.227.3000
- Call our 24-hour Crime Victims Hotline: 866.689.HELP (4357)
- Get face-to-face support through our Community Programs.
- For help dealing with the emotional impact of rape and sexual assault, visit Safe Horizon Counseling Center.
Additional Safe Horizon Resources:
- After Sexual Assault: A Recovery Guide for Survivors
- Have You Been Sexually Assaulted?
- Rape and Sexual Assault
For more information visit the following link: Resources and Reporting Options for Victims of Sexual Misconduct