Who can apply for a Fulbright?

All U.S. citizens with a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from Pratt Institute can apply for the Fulbright.

Pratt international students can apply through the Fulbright Foreign Student Program.

Who do I contact?

Contact Fulbright Program Advisor (FPA) Deborah Yanagisawa at dyanagis@pratt.edu.

Where do I start?

Review types of grants and country opportunities on the application components and countries page.

Set-up an appointment with Fulbright Program Advisor (FPA) Deborah Yanagisawa, at dyanagis@pratt.edu.

The FPA provides guidance throughout the application process, including grant and country selection, essay writing and locating affiliates.

When should I begin my Fulbright application?

It is never too early to start the Fulbright process. The Fulbright application has many components. Successful applications are well-researched and developed, and represent an in-depth view of the subject. Freshman can start the research process in their first year and fill out the Fulbright application in their junior year. Graduate students and alumni should fill out the application immediately.

What if I am interested in more than one country?

Begin by reviewing country-specific opportunities. Pay attention to the type of grant offered and the language requirements as outlined by the host country.

If applying for an ETA grant, review type of placement in host country’s educational institutes and the role of an English teaching assistant in the classroom.

Lastly, research the country’s culture, climate and way of life. As a cultural ambassador, you must be willing to adapt and assimilate to the country.

Am I eligible to apply as a dual citizen of the U.S. and another country?

It depends upon the country. Dual nationals of the following countries are not eligible for a Fulbright in their country of residence:



New Zealand












South Korea*


*For more information, refer to the country summary.

Otherwise, applicants are eligible for a Fulbright in a country of which they are not a current citizen.

Do I have a higher chance of success if I have done Study Abroad in my country of choice?

Applications with study abroad in the country of their choice receive the same weight as those with no prior experience.  The Fulbright Review Committee is interested in the applicant and how thorough and fleshed out their proposal is on engaging with the host community.