Before you travel at any time this semester we strongly urge careful consideration of the evolving worldwide situation and risks associated with COVID-19.
As of March 19, 2020, the Department of State has advised US citizens to avoid travel abroad due to the global impact of COVID-19 and has increased its health advisory to “Level 4: Do Not Travel.” For more information and travel advisories, please visit the US Department of State’s website.
We are particularly concerned for international students who may encounter greater difficulty returning to the United States if additional restrictions are imposed.
Currently, foreign nationals, including international students, are not allowed to enter the United States if they have been present in certain countries in the past 14 days. Visa services are also disrupted in some locations. Reference Link: COVID-19 Restrictions on US Visas and Entry
Additional travel bans for presence in other countries may arise suddenly at any time as the situation evolves around the world. Previous travel bans were announced and made effective quickly without advance notice.
If you are an international student choosing to travel abroad despite substantial current risks we suggest you bring the following documents:
- Your passport/visa documents, such as your I-20 with travel signature, valid F-1 visa, and passport valid for at least six months into the future (or DS-2019/J-1 visa)
- Clear documentation of your flights and travel itinerary/plan (including hotels, school, conference, etc.) in case there are any questions about whether you have traveled to a restricted country during your trip
- A copy of your I-94 travel history printed once you have departed the US to show your exit date (click on travel history): https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home
- A print out of the proclamation of the current federal travel restrictions: https://www.nafsa.org/regulatory-information/covid-19-restrictions-us-visas-and-entry#coronaproclamations
Pratt’s Office of International Affairs is following updates to travel regulations from the US Departments of Homeland Security and Health and Human Services.
Our staff is available to answer questions about the current travel ban and how Pratt is supporting international students or alumni who may be impacted by it. However, we have a very limited ability to assist students who may encounter difficulties during personal travel abroad. The Office of International Affairs can be reached at 718.636.3674 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
More recommendations and resources can be found at:
- NAFSA Coronavirus Critical Resources
- CDC US Quarantine Stations
- CDC Information for Travel
- US Department of State Travel Advisories
If traveling abroad, consider downloading the International SOS Assistance App for up-to-date security analysis, medical information, and one-click dialing to the closest International SOS Assistance Center.
With the international spread of the virus, the safety and well-being of our students is Pratt’s number one priority in any decisions related to the study abroad programs.
All outbound Pratt sponsored spring break trips are canceled. If there are travel costs related to changing your airline ticket due to this suspension, Pratt will reimburse you for the difference. The Office of Education Abroad will also work with students to reimburse them for the prorated amount of the cost of their GeoBlue study abroad health insurance.
At this time, summer Pratt study abroad programs have not been canceled. However, all plans for summer international travel sponsored by or affiliated with the Institute should be considered tentative and alternative options considered. We understand the critical need to plan and will provide more information as it becomes available. Support will be provided to students impacted by these decisions to address the cost and logistics of travel, enrollment, and other issues.
If you are currently outside the United States and need support or have questions related to Coronavirus, you may email email@example.com. If you are studying abroad, please include firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are an international student, please include email@example.com.