You must complete Entrance Counseling.
1. If you are a graduate/professional student and have not previously received a Direct Loan at Pratt Institute, you must complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling before you can receive a Direct Loan. You may complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling electronically via the StudentLoans.gov Web site at https://studentloans.gov. A Federal Student Aid PIN is required to complete online Direct Loan Entrance Counseling.
2. If you intend to borrow Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan, and/or Graduate PLUS loan funds beginning July 1st, 2010 or thereafter, you must complete a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) for each loan type. To complete a Direct Loan MPN electronically, you must have a Federal Student Aid PIN. The Federal Student Aid PIN is the same PIN used to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To apply for a PIN if you do not already have one, or for customer service regarding a previously assigned PIN, visit www.PIN.ed.gov.
3. Complete and return the Loan Confirmation Form to the Pratt Institute Office of Financial Aid via fax or mail. As per the Department of Education, all Direct Loan Borrowers (be it parent or student) must complete a Loan Confirmation Form. This is a necessary step that must be completed prior to school certification of the loan(s) you wish to borrow. You can print the Loan Confirmation Form from the Pratt Institute website and mail or fax it back to our office. Instructions are on the form.
Financial Aid Exit Counseling
All students who have received Federal Direct Loans during their course of study at Pratt Institute are required to complete Exit Counseling when they graduate, withdraw or cease to be enrolled at Pratt. The primary purpose of this session is to help you better understand your student loans debt. You will explore the regulations, repayment options and the consequences of default. Also, you will be reminded of your rights and responsibilities as a Federal Direct Loan/GradPLUS borrower.
You may complete Direct Loan Exit Counseling electronically via the StudentLoans.gov web site at https://studentloans.gov or simply using the "Complete Exit Counseling" link below. After you login you will click on the button that says "Exit Counseling" to get started. You will need your FAFSA PIN and SSN to complete this process. Please be sure to have the following available:
- 3 references with complete addresses (This excludes Pratt faculty or staff as references and dormitory addresses)
- Driver's License (if applicable)
- Employer's address and phone number (if applicable)
IMPORTANT - This Exit Counseling link only pertains to the Federal Direct Loan and Grad PLUS Programs, not the Perkins, Pratt or Alternative Loan Programs. If you have any questions about the Exit Counseling process, please come into the Brooklyn or Manhattan campus Financial Aid Office, call us at 718-636-3599 or email at email@example.com.
*THIS IS A MANDATORY REQUIREMENT FOR ALL STUDENTS WITH FEDERAL DIRECT LOANS AND/OR GRADPLUS LOANS.