Eligibility and Deadlines
Pratt’s Graduate Programs will consider waiving the application fee for US citizens or permanent residents who demonstrate financial need. The deadline to submit a fee waiver request is January 5 for fall programs, October 1 for spring programs, and November 1 for the therapy low residency programs. Application fee waivers are available for US citizens or permanent residents only.
Download and complete the 1) Application Fee Waiver Request Form, and provide 2) one of the following sources of documentation, and 3) email everything together in one email to Natalie Capannelli, Director of Graduate Admissions, at email@example.com:
- a letter verifying your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) signed by you and a financial aid officer at the institution you currently attend
- Student Aid Report (SAR) (available from the FAFSA website) from the most recent year of study (not the proposed award for future Pratt study).
- a copy of your most recent US income tax return (Form 1040)
Completion of a fee waiver request form does not guarantee that your application fee will be waived. You will be notified via email when your request has been reviewed. If your request is not approved, you must pay the fee in order to submit your application. If approved, you will receive a fee waiver code by email, and you should follow the instructions below.
- Complete an application online at www.pratt.edu/admissions/applying.
- You will be prompted to enter your waiver code in lieu of payment at the time you submit the application.
Additional Fee Waivers Available
Pratt’s graduate programs will waive the application fee for applicants who are currently participants in one of the programs listed below, or who have participated in one programs listed below for at least a year within the last two years. You must fill out an Application Fee Waiver Request Form and email the form as well as a letter from a program official documenting the dates of your participation to Natalie Capannelli, Director of Graduate Admissions, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligible programs include:
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES)
- Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minorities Students (ABRCMS)
- Bill and Melinda Gates Millennium Scholar
- Careers Opportunity Research/NIMH (COR/NIMH)
- Collegiate Science and Technology Entry Program (CSTEP)
- Creating Connections Consortium (C3)
- Institute for Recruitment of Teachers (IRT)
- Jackie Robinson Foundation
- Leadership Alliance Summer Research Early Identification Program
- Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellows Program (MMUF)
- Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC)
- Minority Biomedical Research Support Program (RISE)
- National Association of African American Honors Programs (NAAAHP)
- Peace Corps
- Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program
- Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
- Teach for America
If you have been offered a fee waiver after attending a recruitment event or through correspondence with a Pratt staff or faculty member, please complete an Application Fee Waiver Request Form and include that information in the space provided on the form.
For Special Programs Requesting the Application Fee Waiver
A special program not listed above may request the application fee waiver for its participants by writing to Natalie Capannelli, Director of Graduate Admissions, at email@example.com, provided that the program meets all of the following criteria:
- Mission explicitly aligns with Pratt’s Statement on Diversity
- Demonstrates a clear directive for students to enter a graduate program
- Is represented or has chapters at more than one campus
If you are applying to Pratt Institute through an outside fellowship organization, you may be eligible to have your application fee waived. You, or the organization officer submitting the application on your behalf, must fill out an Application Fee Waiver Request Form and email the completed form and a letter from an organization official documenting your receipt of their fellowship to Natalie Capannelli, Director of Graduate Admissions, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligible outside organizations include:
- Amid East
- DAAD – German American Exchange
- DAF – Danish American Fulbright Commission
- IGERT – Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship
- LASPAU – Academic and Professional Programs for the Americas
- VEF – Vietnam Education Fund
Fee Waivers are also granted to applicants who have served in the US Military. No fee waiver request form is required. Please email Natalie Capannelli, Director of Graduate Admissions, at email@example.com with the subject line “Military Service Fee Waiver Request.” Include a scan of your military I.D. or other proof of service.
If you do not meet the criteria to request a standard fee waiver (e.g., you are not a US citizen, not currently in school, or have not participated in a special program) but still wish to request that your application fee be waived, please complete the following steps:
- Complete our Application Fee Waiver Request Form.
- Email the completed form, a letter of rationale, and documentation that can support your request, such as letters from your university, tax returns or other financial documents to Natalie Capannelli, Director of Graduate Admissions, at firstname.lastname@example.org. (If applicable: Please make certain to redact social security numbers).
- Include “Extenuating Circumstances Fee Waiver Request” in the subject line. In the body of the message, include your name and date of birth.
Your request will be reviewed, and you will be notified via email when a decision has been reached. If your request is not approved, you will be required to pay the application fee in order to submit an application.