WHO IS REQUIRED TO TAKE THE INCOMING ENGLISH PLACEMENT EXAM?
All international graduate and undergraduate students with an iBT TOEFL score below 100 must take our English Placement Exam. The exam is offered online during the summer and includes a multiple choice reading test and an essay. According to the combined results of these tests, students will either be placed in an IEP class or will be considered "exempt" from IEP classes. Note that if there is a wide discrepancy between your reading and writing score, you may be asked to attend an interview in order to finalize your placement.
WHO CAN BE WAIVED FROM TAKING THE PRATT ENGLISH LANGUAGE PLACEMENT EXAM?
Waivers will be granted to students who:
- are native English speakers and who are citizens of countries where English is a national language;
- have submitted a TOEFL score equal to or higher than 100 iBT, or the equivalent;
- have submitted a combined IELTS score of 7.5 or higher;
- have submitted a Duolingo score of 125 or above;
- have graduated from a four-year college or university degree program in the US or other English speaking country within the last 12 months;
- have a score of 4 or above on the AP English exam;
- have submitted a score of 620 or higher on the SAT Verbal section;
- are participants in the Fulbright or Humphries scholars programs; or
- have an International Baccalaureate diploma and have received a 4 or better on the HL English Language A: Language and Literature Exam.
- are a Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipient.
Exam waivers will automatically be given to students with TOEFL scores above 100 (iBT) and those who come from countries where English is an official language and are native English speakers. Students who have graduated from a four-year degree program or a graduate program in the US within the last twelve months may submit their transcripts directly to the Intensive English program and may be issued a waiver upon review.
Please note: TOEFL waivers for the admissions process do not automatically waive the English Placement Exam requirement. Students who have taken the SAT in lieu of the TOEFL for admission are required to take the English Placement Exam unless they meet one of the waiver criteria listed above.
WHEN AND WHERE IS THE EXAM HELD?
The exam is held fully online starting in May.
How do I register for the exam?
Registration information and other scheduling details will be sent to you via email.
Can I use a dictionary?
Dictionary use is not allowed during the exams.
How long is the exam?
The reading/writing exam is two hours long.
What is the format of the exam?
The exam will include a reading test and an essay.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT MY EXAM RESULT?
You will be notified of your exam result via email.