The mission of the Communications Design Department is to prepare undergraduate students to become socially and environmentally aware leaders in the field of visual communications. Focusing on development and mastery of conceptual and technical skills in Graphic Design, Illustration, and Advertising as well as studio electives, cross-disciplinary opportunities, and collaborative experiences prepares students for the convergence of the design fields and for positions as creative directors and illustrators across a broad spectrum of increasingly media-based careers.
Upon completion of the program:
- Communications Design (ComD) majors will be knowledgeable and competent as well as facile in Illustration, Graphic Design, and Advertising and will be able to produce a focused body of work reflecting the successful and inspired integration of these disciplines.
- ComD students will be able to give form to content through a variety of design, concept, and image-based explorations while developing and strengthening their creative processes, resulting in a deep and unique presentation of their work that will be assessed at each semester’s end.
- Students will be able to demonstrate knowledge and ability to express their design solutions across a wide range of media platforms, and to pursue entrepreneurial endeavors, should they be so inclined.
- Students will be able to produce a professional portfolio for entry into the Communications Design field and will possess the knowledge and skill to make a contribution to the industry, the community and the world.
- Through transdisciplinary opportunities, electives and internships, ComD students will be able to work collaboratively with professionalism, confidence, and skill.