People may enroll in courses without matriculating into Pratt Institute. Applications are welcome from all qualified students including transfer students. No more than 18 total credits may be taken by a person with non-matriculated student status, including no more than six credits a semester.
The non-degree application form is available at the bottom of this page as a PDF. Please remember to include your official transcript and $50 fee with your application.
- Non-matriculated applicants are not candidates for a degree from Pratt Institute.
- Financial aid is not available for non-matriculated students. Non-matriculated students must pay full price for tuition and student fees.
- International students may not take courses as non-matriculated students. They must be full-time matriculated students to meet immigration regulations.
- A Schedule of Classes for upcoming semesters is available online through the Academic Tools “Students” menu: https://webadvisor.pratt.edu
- Persons interested in certificates or not-for-credit professional development should consider Pratt’s Center for Continuing and Professional Studies.
Non-degree undergraduate applicants include students taking up to six credits in a semester and visiting students from other institutions of higher education who must attend full-time for a semester or two with the intent of transferring the course credit to their school. Neither would be candidates for a degree from Pratt Institute.
Applicants must provide an official transcript showing proof of a high school degree or GED. Those matriculated at another college or university must submit an official transcript of all work completed.
Acceptance as a non-degree student is based on the applicant's background and ability to complete successfully the work of the course. All correspondence is to be through the Registrar’s Office. Student’s admittance will be based upon the written permission of the department chairperson. Additional documentation including a portfolio or letters of recommendation may be requested by the department for further evaluation.
Non-degree graduate students may take courses for graduate credit, provided the academic department approves the registration. Students may not be admitted to candidacy for a degree without first gaining admission to a graduate degree program.
Applicants must provide an official transcript confirming receipt of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. Additional documentation including a portfolio or letters of recommendation may be requested by the department for further evaluation.
Non-Matriculated students wishing to take courses at Pratt Institute must
- complete the form below and deliver it to the Registrar's Office via mail or in person
- with an official high school/college transcript
- and the $50 non-refundable application fee by check or money order
Office of the Registrar
200 Willoughby Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11205
Applications will not be evaluated until all materials are received.
The Registrar's Office must obtain permission from the Department Chairperson offering the course before a non-matriculated student can be registered for any classes. Please allow 3 weeks for this process. Applicants whose proposals are approved will receive a registration statement via email and in the mail. The Office of the Registrar will contact applicants by phone if any issues come up during the process. Non-Matriculated students are not eligible for financial aid. Applicants will be responsible for all tuition and fees upon acceptance. Currently, the cost for classes is $1267 per credit for undergraduates and $1402 for graduates, along with $485 for academic and student fees and $1037 for health insurance (though non-matriculated students may waive the health insurance if they already have a provider).Further information on current tuition rates and fees can be found on the Bursar’s webpage.