Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), colleges and universities maintain the right to keep student education records confidential. The Parent Module is a step toward allowing a little more transparency to third parties, mainly parents, regarding student records.
Using the Parent Module, students may allow parents, guardians, or sponsors to gain limited access to select educational records through a unique login. Students can authorize this person to view current schedules, view grades, and/or access the tuition bill to see the current balance and make payments. It is the student's decision to allow access to all, some, or none of these records. Students manage (grant or rescind) permission through their Academic Tools.
The Parent Module maintains the guidelines established by FERPA by granting complete control to students in allowing access to their academic records. The module is intended to improve communication between students and their parents, guardians, or sponsors regarding issues pertaining to these records. Pratt also hopes that the module will increase involvement in their student’s education and in the Pratt community.
Students access the Parent Module through their Academic Tools
(available through MyPratt).
- On the Students menu, under the “My Personal Information” submenu, click Grant Parent Rights.
- Adjust the flags for access and level and press submit.
- An email is generated to the parent with their user id and password so that they can access the system.
- If the necessary contact is not listed or has an incomplete profile, the student needs to make a request via Request Add of Parent (same submenu). This form will send an email to the Registrar’s Office requesting that staff enter the new person or link the existing person to their record.
- The Registrar’s Office will update the record and confirm the update by email to the student.
- The student can then adjust the new contact’s rights through Grant Parent Rights.
- The new contact can access records through: parents.pratt.edu.
Download step-by-step instructions.
Through the Grant Parent Rights process students can decide which information they wish to allow family members to see or even rescind previously given access (notice will automatically be provided by email).