International students and scholars are often surprised to learn that they have tax filing obligations while they are presently in the United States, even if you’ve never worked.
OIA does not answer questions concerning individual tax situations.
Students and scholars should consult the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS), local and state tax agencies, and tax professionals for advice and guidance regarding their individual situations. The deadline to file tax forms is April 18.
For information on Federal and New York State taxes as well as Tax Treaty information, refer to the following links:
- information_on_filing_taxes.pdf (232.14 KB)
- resident_alien_-_federal_income_tax_sp_2012.pptx (1.59 MB)
- 676-NYS_taxes_SP_2011.pptx (1.39 MB)
- NYS_taxes_SP_2011.pptx (1.39 MB)
- 676-non_resident_alien_-_federal_income_tax_sp_2012.pptx (2.77 MB)