If you are concerned about immediate safety issues, notify Security for assistance at once (718-636-3540).
The following signs and observations may help in identifying students at-risk (the list is not all-inclusive).
What are the signs of a student in distress?
- Isolation or social withdrawal
- Frequent absences or excessive tardiness
- Depressed mood
- Distractedness or difficulty concentrating
- Failing grades
- Decrease in academic performance
- Hyperactivity or restlessness
- Increase in accidents
- Giving away possessions
- Inappropriate behavior in class
What is considered disruptive behavior in class?
- Harming another student or professor
- Destroying property
- Impulsive actions
- Hostile or confrontational statements
- Physical or verbal intimidation
- Cursing in class
- Inappropriate material or content used on projects
- Argumentativeness and irritability
- Expression of bizarre, extravagant, or suspicious ideas
- Poor decision-making
- Inappropriate giggling, laughing, or shouting
- Explicit reference to personal problems
- Expression of feelings of hopelessness or helplessness
- Poor attention to personal hygiene or dress
- Cuts bruises or burns evident on body
- Dramatic weight gain or loss
- Excessive fatigue
- Blood shot eyes or bloody nose