CATALYST Strategic Design Review
In 2009, the Pratt Design Management program launched CATALYST Strategic Design Review, a publication addressing the strategic value of design.
The mission of CATALYST Strategic Design Review is to stimulate thinking and encourage conversation about the role of strategic design in defining and developing an economically, socially and environmentally sustainable future. CATALYST encourages conversation among leaders in design, business and social innovation who are interested in the role of strategic design in creating economic value, advancing equity and assuring environmental stewardship. CATALYST articles and posts emphasizes the value of applying the creative design process to the solution of complex challenges which are often considered outside the realm of traditional design disciplines.
Entitled "Benign by Design: NYC," the launch issue received over 1700 visits from 61 countries during its first four months and the corresponding CATALYST blog had nearly 4000 hits during the same time. Authors included a New York Times Magazine contributor and a respected Pentagram designer. CATALYST received media attention from Design Observer, Core 77, Dexigner and others.
The next issue of CATALYST, Civilizing the Economy, will be released in February, 2012. To subscribe, click here.
“Catalyst was designed to stimulate thinking and encourage conversation about the role of strategic design in making and shaping an economy that is generative, humane, resourceful and ‘good by nature.’ ” - Mary McBride, Director
Designing The Good Life
Issue 9, Fall 2011
Table of Contents:
- Design for Life, The Eyewriter - Mick Ebeling, Tempt and the "Eyewriter", by Denise Potts Mueller, The Ebeling Groups' Public Relations
- A Conversation with Kiran Bir Sethi - by Laura Caballero
- Designing an Ecosystem of the Good Life - by Veronika Scott
- A Conversation with Bruce Mau, Re-thinking the Role of Design in Shaping Our Future - by Paola Ladino, Mala Parikh, Giselle Carr and Mary McBride
- Design as We Go... An Exercise in Making the World a Better Place - by Andrea Kerz-Murray
- Plastiki's Voyage to Save Our Oceans, A Conversation with David de Rothschild - by Giselle Carr
- Life is Good When You're Barefoot, An Interview with Asher Clark, Head Designer of VIVOBAREFOOT and Terra Plana - by Ahmad Alammary
- Designing the Good Life = Design of Volition - by Yusuke Ashizawa