M.P.S. in Art Therapy (Special Education)
Master of Professional Studies in Art Therapy (Special Education)
By educating art and dance therapy students to become accomplished clinicians, graduates of the Creative Arts Therapy Department help individuals with mental health issues reach their full potential. The integration of theoretical and experiential learning forms the basis of the department’s educational process and creates a curriculum rich in critical and creative thinking to help students adopt innovative solutions to clinical issues. Creative Arts Therapy aims to create committed professionals who, through their chosen art form, apply the creative process and aesthetic decision making to become leaders in the creative arts therapy ﬁeld. For information about our Spring/Summer Intensive format which includes the same course content, please visit our Spring/Summer Intesive webpage under Creative Arts Therapy.
Our tradition of teaching creative arts therapies is rooted in psychodynamic theory. We offer a historical perspective on the evolution of the field leading to current applications of practice in a variety of settings. Our program combines the power of non-verbal communication, artistic process, and embodied creative action. Our students develop self-awareness and recognition of their unique attributes through experiential learning. They acquire an increased sense of self and resiliency which is translated to their work as creative arts therapists. Learning objectives for the M.P.S. in Art Therapy and Creativity Development, the M.S. in Dance/Movement Therapy, and the M.P.S. in Art Therapy (Special Education) are as follows:
- Students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of creative arts therapy theory.
- Students will be able to apply theory to practice.
- Students will be able to facilitate a creative, therapeutic process within their discipline.
- Students will demonstrate sufficient self examination leading to respect and responsibility in aspiring to advance the welfare of clients.
- Students will be able to operate within a treatment team and function within an institutional setting.
- Students will be able to demonstrate skills of a scholar-researcher and contributor to the field.