Liberal Arts and Sciences Requirements
Every undergraduate student in The School of Art and Design must complete 34 credits in Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) studies. A student must take 12 courses to reach this required number of credits over 8 semesters. Only those courses taught through The School of Liberal Arts and Sciences can be used to fulfill the required 34 credits.
24 of your 34 credits are to be considered required courses, they break down as follows:
- 6 credits of HMS 101 and 103 (Freshman English)
- 6 credits of CH 300 and 400 (World Civ. I and II)
- 6 credits of Science: any two 3 credit science courses with a prefix of MSCI, SCI, CHEM, PHYS or MATH (MATH 151 is offered only in the spring. MATH 150 is for architecture majors only.)
- 6 credits of Social Science and or Philosophy: any two 3 credit courses with a prefix of SS, PHIL and CST (please check for prereqs and restrictions concerning some CST courses.)
Your remaining 10 credits are to be considered electives, i.e. courses which you elect to take. Elective courses are any courses with the following prefixes:
- AIC, CH, SS, PHIL, CST, HMS, COM, MSCI, SCI, PHYS, CHEM,
- Only 3 credit courses will fulfill requirements.
Yoga (YOGA-150W / 250WP), Pilates (PILAT-105WP / 205WP) and Art History courses are NOT considered Liberal Arts and Sciences and cannot be used toward fulfilling the required 34 credits
HMS 101 is the prerequisite course to all LAS courses and must be completed in the first semester with a grade of C or better. Failure to do so requires the course to be taken in the second semester. HMS 103 is a co-requisite course for all liberal arts and sciences courses and must also be completed with a grade of C or better.
While your degree audit indicates which semester certain requirements should be taken, availability of seats doesn’t always permit for this. Once HMS 101 and 103 are completed, how you sequence your remaining requirements is up to you; however, every effort should be made to complete all requirements before moving on to 400 level elective courses.
Fulfilling your 34 Liberal Arts and Science credits can be accomplished only by taking the course work here at Pratt or by transferring in credit for course work done at another college or university upon acceptance to Pratt. There is one exception to this however: a student may take 1 course outside of Pratt while at Pratt and transfer the credit in. This is to be done with advisement from your academic advisor and approval from The School of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
International students please note: Once you have completed your IEP requirements or have tested out, the above information applies to you as well. Please also note that ENGL 100 and 102 are the equivalent to HMS 101 and 103.