English Placement Exam
How do I sign up for the English Placement Exam?
The following link will take you to the Pratt Portal. After logging in using your Onekey, go to the dashboard and sign up for the exam on the International Student module.
Sign-up for English Placement Exam
Who is required to take the incoming English Placement Exam?
All international graduate and undergraduate students with a TOEFL score below 600 PBT or 100 iBT must take a placement exam when they arrive at the Institute. The exam includes a reading test, an essay and an interview. According to the combined results of these tests, students will either be placed in an IEP class or will be considered "exempt" from IEP classes.
Who can be waived from taking the Pratt English Language Placement Exam?
Waivers will be granted to students who:
- are native English speakers and who are citizens of countries where English is a national language;
- have submitted a TOEFL score equal to or higher than 600 PBT or 100 iBT;
- have submitted a combined IELTS score of 7.5 or higher;
- have graduated from a four-year college or university degree program in the US or other English speaking country within the last 12 months with grades of B or better in Liberal Arts courses;
- have a score of 4 or above on the AP English exam;
- have submitted a score of 570 or higher on the SAT Verbal section;
- are participants in the Fulbright or Humphries scholars programs; or
- have an International Baccalaureate diploma and who have received a 5 or better on the English A1 higher level exam.
Exam waivers will automatically be given to students with TOEFL scores above 600 and those who come from countries where English is an official language. Students who have graduated from a four year degree program or a graduate program in the US within the last twelve months may submit their transcripts directly to the Intensive English program and may be issued a waiver upon review.
Please note: TOEFL waivers for the admissions process does not automatically waive the English Placement Exam requirement. Students who have taken the SAT in lieu of the TOEFL for admission are required to take the English Placement Exam unless they meet one of the waiver criteria listed above.
Where is the exam held?
The exam is held on Pratt's Brooklyn campus in DeKalb Hall, room 406.
What should I do on the day of the exam?
Please arrive at DeKalb Hall, room 406 fifteen minutes before the test time with your photo ID (pratt ID, driver’s license, or passport) so that we can check you in.
Can I bring a dictionary?
You may bring a text (not electronic) dictionary for the writing portion of the exam.
How long is the exam?
The exam lasts about 3 hours.
What is the format of the exam?
The exam will include a reading test, an essay, and a short interview.